Getting into this box is what's best for both of us. During your time in the box, you will learn so much, and yet experience so little. It's a wild ride, my friend, one well worth the time spent...and let's face it, you don't have much to do these days anyway.

Sunday 2 June 2013

We have so much to learn.


Today, having nothing better to do after searching through the regular job listings (and finding no more positions to my liking), I had a bit of time and decided to go learn how to do a little jar canning. While I may not have the tools to put what I learned in practice, thanks to pressure canners being a bit rare in this country, it was nevertheless interesting to learn it as a how-to, as well as how to do a canning/pickling mix that can be done for vegetables without advanced equipment and no more additives than some vinegar.

And all I had to do was to input a few keystrokes into my computer to get the information at hand, complete with video demonstrations.

Next, since I'm looking to grow a beard, I went ahead and looked up some resources for trimming and general care for facial hair, as well as some styles that would look prim and proper on my lip and chin. Again, this information was summoned up in mere moments from the comfort of my home. Not exactly world-changing information on a grand scale, but it's world-changing information on a small scale.

Isn't it fascinating? The ancients revered the Great Library of Alexandra, and even we today recognise its burning as one of the greatest blows to civilisation of the day. Today, we have information amounting to what, hundreds? Thousands? of times, and people are too...distracted, to put it kindly, to peruse it.

Is it a greater tragedy if a library is burned by a malicious hand, or if it's allowed to crumble to dust through disuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment